Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Chances of Understanding the Rain Chances

Rain : Young blonde in walkway under rain Stock Photo
Photo courtesy 123rf.com

It's a rainy day in my area, so I checked the forecast, which says there is a 50% chance of rain today.  So, once again I wondered, "Does that mean it's going to rain 50% of the day, or out of 100% chance of rain there's only a 50% chance that it will rain?"  I've tried looking this up before and found no satisfactory answer.  This time I found a math blog that says weather organizations can't agree on what this means, each one having their own definition, which even further reduces my chances of understanding the rain chances...  For more information click here.  I hope you learned something more than I learned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are reviewed for appropriate content, then appropriate comments are posted within 36 hours or less.